Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Killing Us Softly

The lecture was rather interesting, and rather disturbing. I essentially agree with Kilbourne, and I thought it was one of the best close-readings of anything that I've seen in a Kunkle class as of yet. The point about the emphasis on childish innocency to be equally mixed with sexuality was what stood out to me the most. I agree that this is a very degrading affect, which is even more emphasized by the magizines that we looked at yesterday with scantily clad women popping in rather irrelevant advertisements. I think there were times when she made some overgeneralizations--some of those ads just seemed creepy to the point where they are probably part of a magazine that's just as creepy as the ad. Or so I think. However, for the most part, these were recognizable media outlets that to this day will make me feel a little more troubled about magazine advertisements.

Kilbourne and I both agreed on what was the most tragic and revealing image in the whole slideshow, which was the little boy and the little girl already taking on the stereotypes of being innocent and rather obedient to the boy who is already seen desperately trying to give a masculine aurora to his surroundings. This image, more than others, signifies to a society and these stereotypes are both morally right and normal. Obviously, I don't think any of us consciously think it's true. However, we see this so much I think many people do think this subconsciously. I don't look at advertisements on a regular basis, nor do most, I believe. However, people are influenced by everything they see to an extent. This proves the effects of advertising. The more striking the image, the longer we remember it. Advertisements realize this, and that is how they thrive. Therefore, I can't say that I'm not completely uninfluenced, for I don't think I know.

I'm very glad that we watched this in class, although it was rather troubling.

No comments:

Post a Comment